Visiting Alaska Railroad in 1992

In 1992, I was fortunate enough to be invited to visit the Alaska railroad in Anchorage.  I had sent one of my drawings of an Alaska Railroad locomotive to then President Robert Hatfield, and he suggested that I come up and visit.
My mom, sister and I made the trip to Alaska that February.  It was truly a beautiful time to see Alaska.  Our timing was great, as well.
When in Anchorage, we were able to see the beginning of the Iditarod Dog Sled Race.  It reminded me of reading "The Call of the Wild," my grandpa's favorite book.
We were invited to take the Alaska Railroad passenger train to Fairbanks and back.  All along the route, we spotted majestic wildlife throughout Alaska's landscape.  It was a journey I will never forget.
If you have not visited Alaska to ride the Alaska Railroad, I truly recommend it.  Summer or winter, Alaska and the Alaska Railroad truly offer scenic wonder.


To see more of my Alaska Railroad drawings, visit
http://www.andyfletchertrains.com/alaska-railroad.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cumberland, Maryland-A Great Railroad Community

We All Love Model Trains- Support Your Local Hobby Store

Alaska Railroad and the Whittier, Alaska Railroad Barges