Watching Santa Fe in Joliet, Illinois in 1991


In 1991, I made a grand endeavor which would be my first big railfanning trip, heading from Davis, California, via Seattle to Chicago.  At Joliet, we met with my friends from Nebraska, the Shearers.
We spent the day at Joliet watching Santa Fe and Southern Pacific trains passing in front of us.  To the Shearers, seeing Santa Fe and Southern Pacific was a treat, as they only saw Burlington Northern and Union Pacific in Nebraska.  To me, however, I felt it ironic that I was watching railroads in Chicagoland that I could see in the Central Valley of California.
Trains rolled past.  Making their first or last miles of their journey across our vast nation.  Many behind the new Superfleet engines.  Manifest freights behind SD40-2's headed past.  We waved at the engineers as the trains went past.  It was truly a great time for all.

To see more of my Santa Fe drawings, visit

http://www.andyfletchertrains.com/santa-fe.html






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cumberland, Maryland-A Great Railroad Community

We All Love Model Trains- Support Your Local Hobby Store

Alaska Railroad and the Whittier, Alaska Railroad Barges