Rediscovering My Artist Self

It was October, 2006.  I had not drawn trains for several years after having lost my fine motor skills due to epilepsy.
At the time, I had begun to paint with watercolors.  I had submitted a few of my paintings to coffee shops and galleries across the west, and was scheduled to do a show at a gallery in Seattle.
My mom decided to surprise me and made a reservation at one of my favorite hotels, the Edgewater on Alaskan Way.  I had stayed at the Edgewater many years before when I first began drawing trains.  From the Edgewater, you can see BNSF trains as they begin or end their cross-country trek or bring lumber trains from Canada.
From our room, I could hear the crossing gates ring every time a BNSF train came into view.  Inside, my heart stirred with my love for trains.
As soon as we got home, I began sitting by the Davis train station, watching in anticipation every train that rolled past.  The next thing I new, I was at the art supply store buying paper and pens.
Ahead was a challenging climb to regain my motor skills to draw trains once more.  It would take at least five years of retraining and practice, but in my heart, I had rediscovered my artist self.

To see more of by BNSF artwork, visit
http://www.andyfletchertrains.com/bnsf.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cumberland, Maryland-A Great Railroad Community

We All Love Model Trains- Support Your Local Hobby Store

Alaska Railroad and the Whittier, Alaska Railroad Barges