Drawing the Southern Pacific Daylight and Cab Forward in 1992



There I sat, at the Vallejo Great Western Train shows, with my drawings of Desert Storm locomotives Burlington Northern 1991, Union Pacific 3593 and Conrail 6707.  Burlington Northern 1991 had been popular at every railroad I had visited over the summer, so I was eager to take it to a train show and sell prints of it.
I sat, determined.  But railroad enthusiasts kept walking past my booth.  All wearing Southern Pacific, Western Pacific and Santa Fe shirts and hats.  I kept asking, "Would you be interested in a 1991 print?"
They said, "These are nice, but do you have the Daylight?  Do you have the Cab Forward?  Do you have the Black Widow?  Do you have Western Pacific?" 
Heartbroken, I did not sell a single print at that first train show I attended.  But my heartbreak quickly turned to determination.  In short order, I went into the studio and drew my first steam locomotive, the Southern Pacific Daylight 4449.  In short order, I drew the Cab Forward, Black Widow and several Western Pacific locomotives, as well.
Soon, it was time for the next Great Western Train Show in Vallejo.  We headed down there with my new drawings.  "Hey, this Daylight drawing is great," people said.  "Good job on the Cab Forward as well.  I'll show my buddy this Western Pacific engine you did."  I was truly becoming a railroad artist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cumberland, Maryland-A Great Railroad Community

We All Love Model Trains- Support Your Local Hobby Store

Alaska Railroad and the Whittier, Alaska Railroad Barges